You are here: Home » Uncategorized » You knew that mercury was harmful, but do you know how harmful?

You knew that mercury was harmful, but do you know how harmful?

by admin on November 15, 2007

Mercury is one of those double edged swords of science. On one hand, it makes thermometers work in a predictable and accurate way. On the other hand, mercury contamination is a major problem that can damage wildlife, our food (from that wildlife) and plant life. Mercury, if exposed to humans, is devastating. The symptoms of mercury poisoning can include:

  • impairment of peripheral vision
  • disturbances in sensations
  • lack of coordination of movements
  • impairment of speech, hearing, walking
  • muscle weakness
  • skin rashes
  • mood swing, memory loss, and mental disturbances

Coming into contact with too much mercury this way can damage a growing brain, harming the way unborn and young children will be able to think and learn. It can also harm anyone’s heart, kidneys, lungs, and immune system.

Knowing all of this, you understand how important it is to dispose of mercury properly, including all thermometers. It only takes one improperly disposed of thermometer to contaminate a 20 acre lake!


http://www.awarenessideas.com/rhosp181-Recycling-Hospital-Poster-p/rhosp181.htm

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: